Round Two

For scenes in Neo Arcadia.

Re: Round Two

Postby Ford Benett » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:05 pm

"I never said fighting was his only redeeming quality." Drake replied, having apparently restrained himself a bit more now. "He does more than you realize, even though nobody appreciates it, and he tries hard!" Ford stepped forward, trying to grab his partner back. "Drake, you don't need to defend me anymore."

Drake squirmed from his reach, but floated back to Ford's side. "You forget, I've seen your mind. And in a clutch, not only would I pick you over any of these Neo Arcadians any day, but I'd expect it!" Drake floated back to Ford's pocket as the humanoid looked back at Bevl. "They just might... this country's definition of what a maverick is is so screwed up, they very well might."

Ford turned back to the door. "I can see you aren't going to be much help in my search. Doesn't matter. With or without you, I'll get stronger." Ford turned back, smirking. "It seems I still have people counting on me to do so."
I don't actually do anything, I just sorta... happen.
Ford Benett

Postby QuantumHyena » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Moses hums thoughtfully. "I believe I have just realized something profound..." He says, stroking his beard.
"You're an idiot."
QuantumHyena

Postby Ford Benett » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:40 am

Ford turned back, digesting Bevl's remark for a moment in silence before chuckling a little, then throwing his head back in laughter with his hands on his hips, sounding genuinely amused. "That so? So what's that make you, being the man who gave me the ability to turn into a fire-breathing freakazoid?"

His laughter subsiding, Ford shook his head, still smirking at the scientist. "I'd say your entire population of complacent humans is a far better batch of idiots than I could ever hope to be."
Ford Benett

Postby QuantumHyena » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:39 am

"Because of course, having never met them, you are the best judge of their character," Moses replies. "Yes, yes, your logic is infallible."

He looks sternly to Ford. "You're welcome to run around the desert here attracting whatever negative foreign attention your fool-hardiness causes but I am going to warn you only once that if you continue attacking us, our people, and our property, then you will be dealt with like any other criminal."
QuantumHyena

Postby Ford Benett » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Ford furrowed his brow a bit more, folding his arms and staring back at Bevl, before smirking. "Is that supposed to be a threat? A warning? Something to scare me? Because I have to tell you, I've heard and survived worse than what you're promising." Ford turned, chest out, head up and for once, looking genuinely confident. "Do what you want, because I plan to do the same."

Ford furrowed his brow, glaring back at Bevl. "And I /have/ met them. And the victims of their lavish living, something I'm willing to bet even you can't boast. They're complacent, overly-dependent, and ignorant bastards. And I think it's high time they wake up and see what they've been ignoring."
Ford Benett

Postby QuantumHyena » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:32 am

"Neo Arcadia is a bastion of humanity and its citizens enjoy a high, sustainable standard of living. You're in no position to critique how law-abiding citizens chose to live their lives," Moses comments. "I'm reconsidering the alarm I've been ignoring. I suggest you leave, now."
QuantumHyena

Postby Ford Benett » Fri May 04, 2012 5:47 pm

"The law is bullsh*t." Ford snapped back. "The bastards I used to work for were law-abiding, and they've come close to killing hundreds of people. Each. The problem with these fools is they aren't choosing how to live their lives. They don't know better. If they were, you wouldn't have sent troops out to kidnap Denji and bring him back when he left."

Ford turned to the door, stopping at the frame and clenching his fists. "I go where I want and do what I want, and I won't be told otherwise. Not by man, machine, alien, you or anyone." The door slid open as Ford turned back over his shoulder. "I suppose I should thank you, though. You've not only given me a reason to stay alive, but the power to do so."
Ford Benett

Postby Ford Benett » Fri May 04, 2012 9:18 pm

"Neo Arcadia is a bastion of humanity and its citizens enjoy a high, sustainable standard of living. You're in no position to critique how law-abiding citizens chose to live their lives," Moses comments. "I'm reconsidering the alarm I've been ignoring. I suggest you leave, now."

"The law is bullsh*t." Ford snapped back. "The bastards I used to work for were law-abiding, and they've come close to killing hundreds of people. Each. The problem with these fools is they /aren't/ choosing how to live their lives. They don't know better. If they were, you wouldn't have sent troops out to kidnap Denji and bring him back when he left."

Ford turned to the door, stopping at the frame and clenching his fists. "I go where I want and do what I want, and I won't be told otherwise. Not by man, machine, alien, you or anyone." The door slid open as Ford turned back over his shoulder. "I suppose I should thank you, though. You've not only given me a reason to live, but the power to do so."

"You're welcome to think that," Moses replies flatly. "We do extend freedom of thought here, but show your thanks by paying attention to our laws."

"Tch, you talk like freedom is something you can allow." Ford replied. "Why would they think if you take care of all the thinking for them." He waved a hand. "That's not what I care about right now. You have no intentions of dumping them in a furnace any time soon. They can wait... the reploids can't, and that's where I have a problem with your laws."

"Reploids aren't dumped in furnaces," Moses snorts. "Their activities are regulated and enforced by laws just like the laws that apply to humans. Unfortunately mavericks the world over have proven a need for stricter laws upon them for the good of public safety. Only the robots who break those laws are subject to legal retribution."

Ford remained quiet for a moment, as if contemplating Bevl's argument a little, before turning back over his shoulder to eye the scientist. "You know what? You're probably right. I'm sure the reploids you have lined up for decommisioning here did break rules, got a stern look and carted off to places like this..." Ford stepped forward through the doorway, stopping and turning around, leaving it open still and him halfway through it. He folded his arms. "You're right, for the most part. I have little context for this nation's policies. I have no understanding of it's history, what goes on behind the scenes, virtually nothing... I'm just an outsider... a punk from Able City's wrecked half..." He trailed off a little bit, looking at the floor for a moment.

But just as quickly, his eyes snapped back up, looking Bevl straight in the eye, hardened determination etched into his gaze. "But..."

"But ... what?" Moses asks simply. "That was the most sensible thing you've said since I met you, don't ruin it."

"I don't have to. I've met Dr. Ciel, and unlike you, I trust she has the noblest intentions for everyone at her heart." Ford replied, posture upright, proud, confident. "She's a brilliant mind, and helped to make Neo Arcadia what it is long before it was a reality... and she's looking at it with regret. It's gone too far, and now she leads the Resistance and is trying to fix it. I've listened to her talk... and it's not often that I hear someone speak with the concern and worry that she does."

Ford's sights narrowed further as he spoke. "So, no. I don't have much to go on for this stupid country. Quite frankly, I don't care. I just have faith... trust in Ciel. I know she wouldn't act without good reason, and I believe she can set things right for everyone... there are very few I've met I can say that about." His thoughts wandered briefly to the recording equipment subtley afixed to his body from Alex. "But for them, I'll gladly stand up and fight if it gives them the chance to make things better, to hell with the law."

"Such gratitude for saving your life," Moses muses. He strokes his beard thoughtfully. "Doctor Ciel was a brilliant mind and her importance to our nation's founding is one of the few things we can agree on. But she made her own decision, regrettable as it was. She was an excellent scientist but not a policy maker. You cannot get overly sentimental about the lives of the few when it ignores the lives of the many."

"I'm not." Ford replied shortly. "She isn't concerned with running the numbers and getting the best output... that's why I like her. She strives to save everyone, not just the many. And I believe she can do it, too. It'd be one thing if I thought she couldn't; I'd sympathize for her, maybe even lend a hand if she was in danger and needed it, but not stand up in her stead."
Ford inhaled, head raised a little more, his tone exuding more assurance as he continued. "But I'm convinced she can, and for that, I'd gladly face all of Neo Arcadia's army if it helps her. She hates violence, and she doesn't deserve to put up with it."

"She is always welcome to turn herself in," the bearded Arcadian replies.

"You mean give up." Ford answered bluntly. "She's fighting even though she hates it, because that's what she believes needs to be done. I imagine if there were another way, she'd have resorted to it by now."

"Her stance does not make a very compelling policy when maverickism is still rampant in the rest of the world," Moses notes.

"Your case isn't terribly convincing either, for someone who turns humans not only into machines, but mythical creatures to boot." Ford retorted, adding, "In a world supposedly rampant with maverick activity."

"Clearly we cannot always use reploids to defend ourselves against other reploids," Moses reasons. "After the initial research showed such flawless improvements to the quality of life, the military initiative was only natural."

"And when a humanoid goes maverick? Who says the maverick virus can't mutate like other viruses? Humanoids are just former humans rebuilt to reploid standards. After all, that's what they are... I am." Ford looked at his hand, eyeing it a moment before clenching it and turning back up to Bevl. "So when a humanoid breaks the rules, you call them a maverick too? Cart them off for decommissioning?"

"Anyone who breaks are laws is subject to the punishments dictated by those laws, and the only physical similarities between reploids and humanoids is superficial," Moses says. "Or didn't you notice that you still bleed?"

"So what happens to Ciel if she turns herself in? You plan to put her down with the rest of the 'mavericks'?" Ford asked, arms folded.

"Of course not, but her sentence will be decided by our courts, not me personally," Moses answers.
"Are you quite done?"

Ford's arms unfolded, hanging at his sides as he replied. "Yeah, we're done. I've heard all I need to, and I know what I plan to do now."

"Good, then as long as you're clear that I won't save your life again if you do something stupid and get killed," Moses lifts a hand and flicks it twice at Ford. "Shoo. You know the way to the front door and you've got three minutes to make the one minute walk before I set off the alarm. I suggest not being found deeper in this facility than you are."

Ford flatlined at Bevl's reply before he shooed him off. Ford turned with a grunt, door slipping shut as he started walking off, before a smirk crossed his face. Drake poked up from Ford's pocket. "You have no intentions of making for the exit, do you?" he asked, though his tone showed that he already knew the answer. "I didn't come just for the tour and a lecture." Ford replied, heading back to the main hallway, before taking a right and, indeed, heading deeper into the facility.
"And you think we can survive this because...?" Drake asked. "My powers and your cockiness will only get us so far, you know..." Ford shook his head. "Weren't you listening...? ...I have reasons to live now. Before any of this, I wasn't terribly eager to keep myself safe or go on." Ford smiled. "But that's changed now. I have you, and people like Ciel and Alex, who I can finally put faith in. For once... I have people I can trust. It's not much, but... we can walk away from this because I have a reason to now. For the first time in years, I have a /purpose/."
"So, your brilliant, fool-proof secret weapon to ensure our mutual survival is... you aren't suicidal anymore?" Drake quietly ducked back into his pocket, muttering. "We are gonna die..."

<INTRUDER ALERT!> ... <INTRUDER ALERT!>

Ford doesn't get long to continue his walk and talk. The alarm goes off well ahead of Moses' three minute deadline, flashing lights and sounding warnings over the building's PA.

Ford looked up, grunting a bit as Drake poked up again. "No way... it's not even close to three minutes! The doc... never planned on waiting, did he?" he asked. Ford reached to his hip, pulling the pistol from it's holster as he readied it for a fight. "More likely he's monitoring us-- or having someone else do it for him. It wouldn't surprise me if he's got a camera on us right now." Ford looked over his shoulder to check his back before squinting ahead down the hall. "So I say we give him a show."
Ford Benett

Previous

Return to Neo Arcadia