Food, Glorious Fooood

OOC stuff goes here.

Food, Glorious Fooood

Postby delcera » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:25 pm

So I realized something we need here: a recipe thread. Ever have something you thought was great and wanted to share? Here's the place to do it!

Since I'm the one making the thread, it's only fair that I start.

So here's what you'll need:
  • 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, filleted so they're nice and flat
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 cup cheese (preferably Parmesan but Cheddar's worked for me in the past)
  • 1 egg
  • About 3/4 cup mayo (you can just eyeball this)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

And here's what you'll do!
  • First whisk the egg and then add the mayonnaise; make sure to mix these together really well
  • Put the chicken in this mixture and let it sit for a while to make sure it's completely coated
  • Get a baking pan big enough to put the chicken in and put some cooking spray in there
  • Mix together the cheese and the breadcrumbs and sprinkle some in the bottom of the pan
  • Put the chicken in the pan, cover with the remaining breadcrumb mixture
  • Cook for 30-45 minutes at 375 or until the chicken's more or less done
  • Take the pan out of the oven, put a little pat of butter on each piece of chicken; it doesn't take much
  • Turn the oven up to ~400 and put the chicken back in for another 15 minutes or so
  • Once the chicken's fully done, broil it for about 2 minutes until the crust gets to be nice and brown

Take it out of the oven and voila! Some really tasty chicken breasts! In my experience it goes great with some green beans among other things.
My Wellingtons are swift and merciless.
delcera

Re: Food, Glorious Fooood

Postby QuantumHyena » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Here's something to go with those chicken breasts, or any other meaty finger food:

Sweet Potato Fries

What you'll need, all volumes are to taste:
  • Sweet potatoes, recommend no more than 2 per baking sheet.
  • Cumin, 1 tbs per spud.
  • Chili powder, 1 tbs per spud.
  • Paprika, 1 tbs per spud.
  • Black pepper/peppercorn, 1 tbs per spud, lots of room to vary this one.
  • Salt, 1 tps per spud.
  • Cooking oil, spray, or grease. Olive oil spray is recommended but other sprays can be substituted, even liquids. Butter and other solids may work in theory but are not recommended.
  • (Optional) Fresh herbs like thyme or basil. Vary to taste, herb, and style (fresh versus crushed).
  • An oven.
  • A baking sheet or substitute therefore. An 8x8 or 9x13 works fine too.

First the seasoning. I like to mix this up ahead of time and keep some on hand. Good for adding a heartiness and subtle spice to the main item of a dish, especially vegetables. How to:
  • Mix the cumin, paprika, chili powder, and optionally black pepper/peppercorn and salt together and shove the mixture into an empty spice shaker or whatever substitute you have on hand. Really, that's it. If you want to get fancy you can grind up the spices from whole ingredients first.

How to make the fries:
  1. Preheat oven to 400F. If you like smaller or crispier fries, use 425F; for big, meaty fries, 375F.
  2. While the oven heats, wash and scrub your potatoes so the skins are clean.
  3. Slice up the potatoes using your preferred method of turning large cylindrical things into smaller rectangular things. The fries don't have to be perfectly uniform, but smaller pieces will cook faster than larger ones so try to keep thickness similar throughout.
  4. (Optional) Place a layer of foil on a baking sheet (or your substitute). This will make cleanup easier at the end.
  5. Spray the foil/sheet with olive oil or whatever you have handy. You want it good and greased but it doesn't need to be dripping; we're not deep frying here.
  6. Place the fries onto the baking sheet, making sure not to stack them so they can cook evenly. Placing them close together makes them easier to season, but too close can affect cooking.
  7. If you haven't made the spice mixture above, now would be a good time. You can season with each spice individually, but mixing ensures a consistent flavor between fries. I recommend more than one pass so you don't over-season at first and then run out of spices before you run out of fries.
  8. Spray the top of the fries with another layer of olive oil. This is where a spray is handy, but liquids can be drizzled or rubbed on.
  9. Place the fries in the oven and cook for 40 minutes.
  10. (Optional) Pull the fries out of the oven after 20 minutes and spray with another layer of oil for crispier fries.

Et viola, seasoned sweet potato french fries. These go great with a hearty ketchup (the thick, dark kind, not the sweet kind) as well as most cold condiments but can of course be eaten straight as well.
QuantumHyena

Postby QuantumHyena » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Parroting a splendidly simple and tasty unleavened bread (thank you Observer!) and my minor addition to it:

Yellow Bread (sandwich!):

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups flour (I like wheat, any kind works)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1+1/2 cups milk or water (My personal vote: whole milk)
  • 2 tbsp oil (any kind)
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • A pan and something to grease it with.

To make:
  1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl big enough to fit them. The mixture will get smooth and thick as the flour and egg is blended in. Tiny chunks are survivable but better mixed is more consistent bread and this is pretty forgiving of over mixing.
  2. Grease one 8x8 and pour the bread dough in.
  3. Bake in an oven at 450F for 20 minutes.

Et viola, yellow bread! It's really that simple.
If you want bread that's less spongy on the inside, a lower cooking temp (say 400F) for longer (say 30-35 minutes) should get you there. Also substituting a 9x13 pan in is another way to change things up but I can't recommend a sane cooking time or temp for that beyond keeping it toasty in there and watching carefully for burnt crust.

My (even simpler) additions to make this tasty bread a sandwich:
  • Black beans
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Cumin

Quantities depend on how much you plan to use in one sitting versus refrigerate, but simply cook the black beans (or buy precooked), dice and boil the sweet potato, and mash the two together into a paste. I strongly suggest sampling the flavor as you go to get the mix of bean to spud that's right for you. Add cumin entirely to taste, this can stand alone without it and survive.

The end result:
  • One 4x4 slice of yellow bread (a quarter of the original result), cut in half. For this I recommend wheat flour in the above recipe for its flavor and heartiness.
  • "Some" bean-potato paste spread, smeared, or ladled between the halves.

Congratulations, your bread and spud-bean paste is now a quick-and-hearty sandwich!
QuantumHyena

Postby QuantumHyena » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:34 pm

A change of pace: leavened bread!

(Pure) Whole Wheat Bread

Ingredients:
  • 3 tbs sugar
  • 4 tsp salt
  • 2 packages active dry yeast
  • About 7 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 2 1/4 cups milk
  • 1/3 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/3 cup molasses
  • Loaf pan (for loaf) or baking sheet (for rolls)

Makes:
2 loaves or 12 rolls

Steps:
  1. In large bowl, combine sugar, salt, yeast, and 2 cups flour. In 2-quart saucepan over low heat, heat milk, molasses, and 3 tablespoons butter until very warm (120-130F)
  2. Gradually beat liquid into dry ingredients until blended. Then mix at medium speed for 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl, to ensure a smooth mix.
  3. Gradually beat in enough flour to form a pliable dough. Dough will lift away from bowl in a single chunk when properly floured. Continue flouring and mixing until dough is only slightly sticky but won't come off on floured hands.
  4. On floured surface, knead dough until elastic and shape into a ball. Add flour while kneading so dough does not stick to kneading surface or hands.
  5. Grease a large bowl, place dough in bowl, then flip the dough to present grease-covered side up and cover (towel works fine). Let rise until doubles (~1 hour) for bread loaf, or more (1-2 hours) for rolls. Rising time is forgivable of excess and longer rising time yields a softer bread.
  6. Punch down dough by pushing fist into center and pulling in edges. Punch gently at first as dough allowed to rise long enough (2+ hours) can tear at first. Remove from bowl, optionally on a lightly flowered surface, and divide into two halves for making loaves or 12 pieces of roughly equal size for rolls.
  7. For loaf: Cover each dough half and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
  8. For loaf: Roll each dough half into a 12" by 8" rectangles. Shape into loaf; place, seam side down, in loaf pan. Cover, let rise until doubled again (about 1 hour).
  9. For loaf: Preheat oven to 400F. Bake loaves 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and loaves sound hollow when top is tapped lightly with fingers. Remove from pans immediately so bottoms don't become soggy. Cool on wire rack.
  10. For rolls: Roll each piece between your hands to form a ball. Good, consistent results can be had by gently rolling the piece into a fat cylinder and then folding ends underneath.
  11. For rolls: Cover the balls and let rise until doubled again (about 1 hour). Using a towel or other heavy covering is not a good idea as it can flatten the rolls. Resting uncovered is an acceptable alternative, or removing the cover part way through.
  12. For rolls: Preheat oven to 350F. Bake rolls to 20 minutes or until rolls sound hollow when tapped. Remove from trays immediately and cool on wire racks.
Last edited by QuantumHyena on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuantumHyena

Postby delcera » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:38 pm

Because salsa is awesome, here's a recipe I just came up with that made even my tomato-hating roommate say "this's pretty good."

1/2 onion minced, sauteed
2 roma tomatoes
1 can chipotle diced tomatoes
1 jalapeno minced
2 cloves garlic minced, sauteed
juice of 1 lime
salt + pepper to taste
Cilantro to taste, diced

Sautee garlic in small amount of oil; once garlic has browned, remove from heat and put in bowl. Sautee onions in leftover garlic-oil. Once browned, place in bowl with garlic. Take roma tomatoes, place in blender. Blend until lightly pureed. Mix contents in garlic-onion bowl. Mix jalapeno. Mix can of tomatoes into bowl. Juice 1 whole lime into bowl. Mix well. Add salt and pepper. Add cilantro. Mix well. Serve.

Yes, I know it's vague, but that's the best I can give you. Besides, salsa's a very individual thing and reflects the maker. How hot is hot enough, how much salt and pepper is tasty, etc. etc.
Have fun, folks!
My Wellingtons are swift and merciless.
delcera

Return to OOC Stuff