Theme Change - Neo Arcadia's Founding, Gigamix 3

OOC stuff goes here.

Theme Change - Neo Arcadia's Founding, Gigamix 3

Postby QuantumHyena » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:35 am

Chatting with Sera last night made me realize something that I hadn't thought about before: Neo Arcadia was founded in mid-2008, that makes it only four years old!

I'm realizing that four years seems like a very short time frame to get all of Neo Arcadia's unique MMZ style trappings that the Classic/X style world around it doesn't have; pantheons, humanoids, biometals, those funky shoes, and people like Ceil. It feels like NA would be better served by having an old enough past that there are second generation immigrants and children of founders who have grown up in the country all their life. That opens the door to people being honest to goodness NA natives rather than everyone old enough to write at a middle school level having memories of a childhood in another country.

Unfortunately NA's founding is tied closely to the emergence of the mavericks and thus the age of reploids which itself is connected to the age of robot masters before them. However because we back-calculated all of our dates after originally working by "X years ago" that means Light and Wily didn't make RMs until 2002. At least personally I don't see anything jarring about moving that back ten years or perhaps fifteen to twenty depending on how old we want the second generation to potentially be.

Now, if everything slides back at the beginning that means all our other history would either slide with it or something would expand. In the interest of keeping some semblance of current events I think expanding near or at the transition from RMs to reploids might be the better option. Robot masters get added status as venerable past generation technology with a long, successful (if Wily stamped) history but reploids would still have their status as relatively new but still old enough that within the species there's stratification.

Looking at our timeline right now we have:

1990s: Energen discovered, basic drones and power armors are invented by Light/Wily
2002: Wily/Light make RMs
2003: Wily War starts
2004: Robopol and UN Army formed to fight Wily
2006: A new generation of Wily robots lead by Zero appear, X is activated to combat them
2007: Repliforce is created on the tailcoat of X's success
2008: The maverick virus is released, a mass maverick outbreak triggers the start of the Maverick War, Neo Arcadia forms in response
2009: The Maverick Hunters are formed
2012: Current day, Ford enters the Guiness Book of World Records as the most sought-after human under 30 for all the wrong reasons.

Again personally, I'm really liking the Gigamix 3 summary we have on the board (thanks Mariah!) and think that could be a good transition point to separate RMs and reploids. The added catastrophe could also make a generational divide between shell-shocked peaceniks and the later generations (reploids) who, not having experienced the Stardroid Calamity, would have no problem waging worldwide war. Of course that has other effects too. As best as I've hypothesized so far, I have thought of the following:
  1. The world at large becomes aware of hostile alien life. This could launch a wave of international cooperation for common defense or to seek out more life. Currently apped stardroids would no longer be burdened with First Contact but could likely have even better reasons to hide (Duo's fist, panicked and well-armed terrestrial backlash).
  2. The robot master population would take an absolute nosedive. Something like 4 in 5 RMs could have been destroyed, or any other sort of very high number. Wily's army was decimated, which at least briefly curtailed his attempts at world domination (for all of a few months). This means a big labor shortage in the roles they were previously filling.
  3. Untold damage and loss of human life caused by the stardroid's ultimate weapon. The geopolitical landscape could change heavily depending on which countries got hit how hard and it's not inconceivable that old enemies took the opportunity to start wars of conquest. The damage, dead, and possible battles means even greater demand for fresh labor and humans only reproduce so fast.
  4. Because of this great demand for labor, RM production (partly using salvaged remains from past RMs) could skyrocket and this also sets the stage for the introduction of reploids as peace keepers and disaster recovery.
  5. The sheer devastation could set the world back a decade in economic terms and give a good excuse for time to stretch. It also means a lot of refuges with mixed feelings, which is potential Neo Arcadian as well as general plot fodder.

With those points in mind, and thinking that it would be nice if Neo Arcadia were at least fifteen or sixteen years old - old enough for children and early teens to have never known another country and someone around twenty to not remember it too clearly but young enough that someone in their mid 20s or more could have childhood memories of elsewhere - here's a first swing of a draft at a revised timeline:

Early 1990s: Energen discovered, basic drones and power armors are invented by Light/Wily
1992: Wily/Light make RMs
1993: Wily War starts
1995: The Stardroid Calamity
1996-1997: Earth begins to rebuild. Wily redeclares war, military skirmishes and revolts are sparked around the globe by the last year's devastation. To many, Rock's lesson is quickly becoming a memory.
1997: Neo Arcadia forms as an originally peaceful nation of refugees and retired soldiers. Stardroid destruction, Wily's war, and the unrest many leave behind begin to cultivate a dim view for the robots used as muscle in these events.
2000: A new generation of Wily robots lead by Zero appear, X is activated to combat them.
2001: Repliforce is created on the tailcoat of X's success.
2001-2003: Reploid technology quickly disseminates worldwide and is put to use alongside robot masters to help rebuild and defend the world. Fresh waves of humans, civilians and soldiers alike, immigrate to Neo Arcadia seeking promises of work and safety.
2004: The Wily War has turned in favor of Repliforce. Most of the world's devastated lands have now been rebuilt as towering megacities, beacons of man and robotkind's ability to build a brighter future together. The message remains lost on some.
2006: The maverick virus is released, a mass maverick outbreak triggers the start of the Maverick War.
2006: The Maverick Hunters are formed from the original UN RM army.
2006-2008: Able City is decimated by Sigma's declaration of war. Dr. Cain is killed. The city sets to the task of rebuilding itself again.
2012: Current day, Ford enters the Guiness Book of World Records as the most sought-after human under 30 for all the wrong reasons.

And that concludes my big info dump. I admit that I changed the dates here back and forth couple years because of all the different interest at play across the events and there's still a lot of room to keep doing that. With this arrangement, the Hunters are 6 years old, Mavericks are also 6, Repliforce is 11, civilian reploids are up to 9-11, native Neo Arcadians are 15, anyone older than 17 lived through the Stardroid Calamity, anyone over 20 predates robot masters, and anyone over about 22 predates robots as the Mega Man series knows them.

In an ideal world I'd like to turn around next Friday and say we've got a nice consensus on whether my idea here is pure silliness and if it's worth changing our timeline so~... *puts on a flak jacket and gallon pot* Time to have holes shot at the above. Fire away with thoughts, comments, concerns, and suggestions!
Last edited by QuantumHyena on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuantumHyena

Re: Theme Change - Neo Arcadia's Founding Date, Timeline in

Postby delcera » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:07 pm

I like this new timeline, but I do have one question.

Let's assume energen is discovered on Jan. 1, 1990. Is two years (at best) really long enough for Wily and Light to really get a feel for energen? I mean, it may as well be a new element so we've got to take some time to figure out how it works, what its properties are, its limits, etc. The Good Doctors are smart, but they're not that smart.
My Wellingtons are swift and merciless.
delcera

Postby The Green Herring » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Just posting here to mention that my story for Scanner Bat has him being built around the time that Repliforce was formed, when his company and them struck a deal that would see the company supplying them with both Ride Armor metal and a specialized surveillance Reploid equipped with the company's "camouflage device" (to use a probably non-standard but descriptive phrase) among other features. With the proposed timeline, Scanner would suddenly be six years older than I imagined him, and his worldview may possibly change accordingly. Of course, the edited timeline also means he'd have spent many more years in Repliforce prior to the incident that made him leave for the Maverick Hunters, which involved three comrades he thought were KIA ambushing him as Mavericks and trying to get him to join. I'm not sure if it would make sense or not for him to lose his trust in the Repliforce, his motivation for leaving which the incident caused, after working for them for that many years.

Oh, and the title of this thread is too long, so "General" gets cut off.

EDIT (5:37 PM PDT): Added to the above.
- The Green Herring -
The Green Herring

Postby QuantumHyena » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:59 pm

That's a good point on the energen date, Del. What kind of date do you think would give enough room there? I think we have a lot of flexibility on that because that event doesn't directly affect anyone that I can think of. RMs, Reploids, and the wars surrounding them were more pivotal I think.

Likewise, good point Scanner. How far forward do you think we'd need to move the founding of Repliforce for things to still work for you, or maybe is there another influence that could come into play to keep your decision what it is?
QuantumHyena

Postby delcera » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Honestly the energen discovery date isn't that critical; sometime in the mid to late '80s would probably be good, though. That allows for people to discover its properties and such and gives Wily and Light time to figure out how the heck they make a proper robot.
My Wellingtons are swift and merciless.
delcera

Postby The Green Herring » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:52 pm

The better solution on my behalf would be for Scanner Bat's motivation for leaving Repliforce to change. He did suffer that three-Mavericks incident, and more, on top of much of RF defecting. But instead of making him leave RF for the Hunters because he couldn't trust the army anymore, it'd make him transfer to the Maverick Hunters because he'd be convinced the Mavericks are a much greater threat in today's climate than the Wily Army. The incidents still affected him personally enough, however, for him to invoke them when processing events that could lead to him becoming Maverick.
- The Green Herring -
The Green Herring

Return to OOC Stuff