An Experiment In Organizing Plots

OOC stuff goes here.

An Experiment In Organizing Plots

Postby QuantumHyena » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:44 am

Hey all. An idea occurred to me earlier today that I think could be very helpful if done right. At the same time however, I can think of a lot of ways to do it wrong that make it tedious bureaucratic. The idea is simply this: have somewhere central that lists all of the open and running plots so people know what's available to jump into. Kind of an extension of the Looking For posts on the forum here, I think they'd be helpful for new players especially but also for old. It'd give us a sort of rolling IC history that we're not currently keeping track of, plus a neat little feeling of accomplishment since we can look back and say 'hey I/we did all this!'. That's always a fun feeling.

Anyway, so far the most orderly way I've come up with is to have a wiki page that everyone can edit, and just let people throw their plots on the bottom of a list as they start up. Items would include a snappy one-liner title, a brief description of the plot, who's a point of contact to get in on the action, and probably requests for what positions people want filled in their plot if they have any particulars. There'd be another section below this where all of the plots could be moved to once they're completed to provide a history. Adding an approximate date stamp to start/end times would help organize that as well, and the Completed Plots section would probably have a conclusion blurb for each plot to briefly explain what went down.

The chief danger I see here is it's added overhead to RPers. Some people might use it, some people might not, and I wouldn't want to start anything that makes RPing a hassle; it's supposed to be pretendy fun time, not book-keeping. Still, for me at least I think it would be worth the effort, and we could probably get away with making everything optional anyway so folks can post as much as they want for a running scene, then copy it sans conclusion to Completed Plots if they don't feel like writing it up. Of course, being public and editable that means anyone who was involved could do the writing and it wouldn't just be the responsibility of whoever was 'head' of the TP.

That's my piece. What do you guys think?
QuantumHyena

Re: An Experiment In Organizing Plots

Postby Ford Benett » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:23 pm

In all honesty, I'm down for a idea like this. Sometimes, it's just nice to know what's running, and truthfully, it doesn't sound horribly different from our current forum RP process. I suppose we just need, like you said, a central list of what's open. Perhaps a friendly little tag on each forum post to say 'Hi, I'm open for play!' or 'Restricted/Closed/Finished' on each. I don't know how difficult that would be to implement (can't be too hard, can it?) (<-- that's what she said!), but that's what I see being necessary at a base level. Perhaps an open plots page on the wiki, or just plots in general, with open plots at the top and completed ones at the bottom?

So... yeah. That's me then!
I don't actually do anything, I just sorta... happen.
Ford Benett

Postby delcera » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:20 pm

This sounds like a pretty decent idea, but we'd need to be careful of the implementation. Limiting overhead as much as possible is definitely important, especially since people are more likely to actually use it if it's easy to use.

How much detail where you expecting to go into this? You mentioned a snappy title, possibly dates and a 'looking for' but will there be, say, a summary? A list of who's in it? We'd need to figure out what's required to be on there before we start implementing it, otherwise it'll likely fall by the wayside due to people not wanting to use a system that's constantly being tweaked, y'know?
My Wellingtons are swift and merciless.
delcera

Postby QuantumHyena » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:16 pm

I'm thinking that items would include a snappy one-liner title, a brief description of the plot, who's a point of contact to get in on the action, and probably requests for what positions people want filled in their plot if they have any particulars. I'm picturing an example entry along the lines of:

==Current Plots==

1. The Results of Bad Karma
Janus' past is catching up with him. The maverick's bounty within the underworld has been rising and a contact is offering information in exchange for his death. With the figure already substantial, it is the information more than the rising reward which has caught the attention of assassins. Rumors in the industry says two have failed already...

People to contact: Janus (mush), QuantumHyena (forum)
People involved: Janus
Positions Requested:
= Potential one-shot assassins (several have been randomized and are available for us already). Expect things to be violent and potentially deadly. PC assassins are also welcome with the same warning.
= The contact selling information. Danger potential here too.
= The contact acquiring the information. May or may not be the same person as above. Definite danger here.
= The schmuck who wants Janus dead and is coordinating the former.

By sheer coincidence this is a current plot with accurate information. Expect me to shamelessly copy-paste this later, possibly changing that two to a three.
QuantumHyena

Postby QuantumHyena » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:47 am

I've decided to wing it with this plot page idea. My attempt at such can be found here:

http://22xx.wikia.com/wiki/Plot_List
QuantumHyena

Return to OOC Stuff